Training: 10 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 1 C. butter
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced (about 875 ml / 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 tbsp a spoonful of fresh thyme, leaves
- 625 ml (2 1/2 cups) low-salt beef broth
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) dry sherry
- 500 ml (2 cups) pasta
- 500 ml (2 cups) grated cheese
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) mascarpone
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- Place a rack in the top third of the oven and preheat the roasting pan.
- In a 25 cm (10-inch) non-stick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Color the onion 1 tbsp. thyme, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour in stock, 180 ml (3/4 cup) water, sherry, and pasta. Stir. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from fire.
- Add 250 ml (1 cup) Gruyere cheese, mascarpone and Dijon mustard. Stir. In a bowl, combine the remaining Gruyère and panko cheese and sprinkle with the pasta mixture.
- Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted, 1 or 2 minutes. Sprinkle 1 tbsp. thyme.
See also: spinach and feta pie